Don’t get stuck in the deep end: Understanding swimming pool insurance

Don’t get stuck in the deep end: Understanding swimming pool insurance

By Danny Newman, Branch Manager – Beit Shemesh, Goldfus Insurance

With the start of summer vacation, many families will be flocking to the beaches, water parks and public swimming pools. Some people will not need to venture far to escape the heat as they step into their own pool (be it a permanent one or one of the many temporary ones available) in the comfort and privacy of their own garden.

Pools are a fun and inexpensive way for your children to cool down in the summer months, but unfortunately, there have been a number of drowning incidents in Israel in recent years. Aside from putting up the necessary physical protections around your pool, you should also make sure to insure yourself correctly to protect yourself in the event of liability.

Currently there is no uniform liability cover that automatically includes swimming pools of various types and sizes; however it is possible to extend your home and contents insurance policy to protect yourself. It is important to mention to your insurance provider that you have a pool when you purchase a new policy, are renewing an existing policy or when you purchase or build a swimming pool for your property.

Many home insurance policies include liability cover in the region of NIS 1 Million, however adequate cover for swimming pools is recommended to be fixed at NIS 2 Million, or more.

It is also important to clarify the usage of the pool. For example, if first degree relatives come to use the swimming pool, one should make sure that the policy includes a rider that family members who do not live on the premises on a regular basis are considered 3rd parties to ensure cover under the policy. In addition, if the pool is being hired out or if it is used for business activity, this too can have implications on the policy.

When it comes to liability insurance, it is important to define the terms. There is not only a very fine line between a paddling/small kid’s pool and a collapsible/temporary pool (e.g. Intex brand), but also between the Intex type pool and a built-in permanent swimming pool. Specifying the exact pool that one has is very important to avoid any discrepancies in the event of a claim.

Physical barriers that can protect children around the pool may also be an essential safety requirement according to your policy. Safety requirements vary dependent on the size of the pool such as; fence around the pool, hard cover over the pool or other physical barriers.

Summer activities such as people holding kaytanot, chugim or even people subletting their homes should be checked to ensure that the policy meets the requirements. Any other sporting or recreational equipment (such as a trampoline) that you may have in your home should be discussed with your insurance provider.

Peace of mind is key to a relaxing summer- have a fun, safe and cool one!

For more information about home and contents insurance contact us today!

Print Friendly, PDF & Email